Sunday, November 29, 2009

press play - a shoot with thom kerr

the spirits


cloud control


tennis



decorated generals


richard in your mind



lions at your door




Press play is a project I directed and styled for the purpose of my uni major work. The course I took was a BA of Design majoring in Creative Direction and Fashion Styling at the Whitehouse Institute of Desgin.

The project revolved around creating a series of images for 6 of my favourite Sydney based musicians; Lions at your Door, Richard in your Mind, Tennis, Cloud Control, The Spirits and Decorated Generals.

I wanted to create press shots for each of the bands (all shot by my friend and talented photographer Jeff Yiu) and involve them all in a crazy and unexpected photo shoot.

So who do you get to photograph something like that? I have been a fan of Thom Kerr's work for ages. It's so inventive and unlike anything I have ever seen a fashion photographer attempt to do. His eye, not only photographically but as an art director and graphic designer is nothing but inspirational. And as a stylist I just LOVE the stuff him and MsFitz (truely amazing....big fan) do together.

So this is a perfect example of 'if you don't ask you don't get'. I emailed Thom in a moment of stress with a formal proposal and as much information I could give him about the project at the time. I honestly didn't think it would be something Thom would want to be involved in or even have the time for, but to my shock and delight Thom emailed me back within 15 minutes with a yes.

Dude.

Working with Thom on this project was such a dream. He made it FUN and boy did he come through with goods. He's fantastic. Seriously.
The shoots are featured in a zine I published going by the same name, Press Play. You can pick it up in cool sydney stores like Cream, Dorby Den and Zoo. GO GET!
Photographer : Thom Kerr
Lighting Director - Adam Custins
Creative Director and stylist - Viktoria Ing
Art direction Assistant - Alana Wilson
Hair and MUA - Natalie Dufton, Maree Spagnol, Audrey Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment